07 November 2012

Update

A trip to London, A teenage daughter, Halloween, early Thanksgiving and Obama...................

As I have lost my Green Card I had to make a trip down to London to get a Transportation Letter. I had an appointment at the embassy for 8.30 am and was told to expects to spend 3-4 hours there. One one hand this was rather annoying as I have no patience (for ANYTHING) and the embassy isn't that exciting to begin with. So I had stacked up on all the latest gossip mags. At least I could learn about Jordan's latest cosmetic surgery, who's out on Strictly, X Factor and of course who is dating who and who is beating each other up. A perfectly acceptable way to spend waiting time me thinks.

I show up to the embassy and was told I couldn't bring in my phone even though it was off and if I wanted to keep my appointment I could walk down the street to the pharmacy where I could store everything!! I swear that pharmacy has never filled a prescription of sold as much as a single tube of ointment. All they do is store electronics for visitors to the embassy. And they charge you for it.

Back to the embassy and in I go only to be told I can't bring my headphones in. Headphones I didn't even realize I had in my bag. My options? Go back to the pharmacy or get rid of the headphones. I walked out and dumped the headphones in the leaf raker's leaf bin. Back in I went.

I sit down, get myself ready with the latest issue of crap and wait. For 10 minutes, then my number is called. I go the window, explain my situation and am told to sit down and wait for the transportation letter to be ready. Back I go, sit down and pick up the magazine once again. For 20 minutes. Then my number is called, I am handed my letter and I am free to go!! WTF! Don't get me wrong, I am grateful I didn't have to sit there all day long, but at the same time I was a) a little disappointed that I didn't get to read my crap and b) annoyed I had a non changeable ticket for the train much much later that day.

I know I know, most people would have been happy about having an entire day in London, but honestly, if you've ever lived there......it's not that exciting.
I got to read my crap on the train, at least that was something.

A couple of days later I could celebrate/mourn the fact that I now have a teenage daughter. How I ever got this old is beyond me and that night as I took her and her friends to a cafe before a show I realized just how old I am as they were talking about how gross it was that they had caught their VERY OLD maths teacher making out with his girlfriend. He's 24. I have no words.

Halloween came and went as it does every year. I still don't understand why some women think its appropriate to dress up like whores just because it's Halloween. What happened to good old fashioned costumes?

This past weekend we celebrated an early Thanksgiving with my entire family. Somehow it's become a tradition to celebrate Thanksgiving even though Joel is the only American. Except for the children who are Americans but who really don't care about Thanksgiving. They just want dessert. Actually,  Joel is that way too come to think of it.
As usual I turned to Turkey God Alton Brown for his fantabulous brine that makes the turkey actually taste really good instead of just dry and blah. This year was extra fun as my 2-year-old nephew was here and he was very impressed by the "big chicken". I know every aunt probably thinks this, but he is the cutest little thing that ever lived and he fills my heart with happiness. Especially when he raises his arms and says "Party time". That's my nephew!!

On to the presidential election in the states. Joel was annoyed that his absentee ballot never showed up, but then again, he votes from Georgia so his vote probably didn't count much.
I'm just happy the whole thing is over. Did the right man win? Anyone who would want that job has to be a bit psycho, but I think we got the lesser of two evils. American politics is so complicated as you vote for so many different things at the same time. I can't vote. Not in America, Not in Denmark, Not here. Oh well.

Amsterdam is calling, write to you later.

No comments: