07 April 2013

Ouch

Ouch. I turned 40.
It actually didn't hurt that much, it's more the thoughts that come with it that has me a bit worried.
Am I a proper grown up now? Was I supposed to be a proper grown up before?
I clearly remember when my mother turned forty. She was OLD! My kids probably think I'm really old too.
Some of my friends tried telling me that forty is the new thirty. Maybe it makes them feel better, it's not working for me.
Are forty-year-old women meant to have long hair and wear skinny jeans? Or are we supposed to get a more mature hair do and dress more conservative? Mind you, I probably have the most boring wardrobe of any human being to begin with. But it's comfortable. That was a really "old person" thing to say, wasn't it.....
Are we supposed to drink Martinis and enjoy them? I still like beer and shots.
Are we supposed to be all organised and on top of things? I hope not.
Are we supposed to be any different than what we are right now?
Anyways, I went to Denmark to celebrate my birthday with family and friends. I must be getting old 'cause I got to the airport a day late..........thanks to family we eventually got there.
It was fun, but strange to have a party for a forty year old when I still feel like I'm really young. Yes yes, age is just a number and forty isn't old, but the truth is forty is probably very close to life being half over if one should be so lucky to die for old age.
So what do I do with the last half of my life? I've always said I wanted to go to India for three weeks by myself, but that was way before the Eat Pray Love hoopla, so instead I think I'll do what I've done for the past 20 years of my life. Enjoy life as it is, make the best of it and always say yes to unknown and untried things. Unless, of course, it's illegal or causes harm.

No comments: