29 May 2013

Shebeen

I normally don't post reviews here, but sometimes you come across something that is so absolutely fantastical that it deserves a shout out.
Shebeen on Morrison Street in Edinburgh is a South African restaurant with steaks the size of the size a steak really should be.........they're big. As in really big.
But a steak isn't always just about the size. Who wants to eat a giant piece of shoe leather?
A steak is about texture, and flavour.
I ordered the Lion Sirloin. No, it didn't come from a lion, don't worry. Lion indicates the size of the steak. It's bigger than the Cheetah and if you know me you know that with steak, you go big or go home.
The sirloin was cooked to sheer perfection. A decent amount of fat which is essential for a good steak and it was served on the bone which I prefer.
It was presented on a cutting board along with chips, onion rings and salad.
Again, if you know me you know that my love for chips almost overshadow my love for gnomes.......and these chips were delicious. I could happily go back for just chips. No, actually I couldn't, that's how good the steak was.
I am not an onion ring eater, but these onion rings were amazing. They were crispy. As in really crispy. I like that. A lot.
Anyways, back to the steak which I paired with a glass of a beautiful South African wine that I have completely forgotten the name of. That's how good the steak was, it didn't need the wine for a complete steak experience.
I cut into that steak which I ordered between blue and rare, and that's what I got. The meat was so tender and flavorful, that from the first bite I was already mourning the time when I had to take the last bite. I didn't want it to end. Ever.
When I was done and so full I thought I would explode I would have happily eaten another steak. That's how good it was.
So if you ever get the chance and you've had enough Haggis and Black Pudding, head to Shebeen for THE BEST MOST FANTASTICAL WONDERFUL STEAK EVER.

No comments: